Avoid the take away and cook your own quick, and healthy, Chinese style sweet and sour chicken at home.
We all know that sweet and sour chicken is basically now a British staple. Is it even really Saturday night without a visit to the local Chinese for something sweet and sticky? No, except too many of those take-away's might leave your wallet looking thin, and your waistline, well, that's another story. Anyway, I love sweet and sour chicken, and it seems a shame to confine it to the every-once-in-a-while-treat from the Chinese, so I wanted to have a go at making a version you can cook at home, without the guilt. Also, cooking this at home means you can't be tempted by the added extras of a delicious Chinese take-away menu; chips, prawn toast, maybe even some ribs... It's just all too tempting. So in that respects, cooking at home is much better for your waistline.
- 450g diced chicken breast
- 2 tbs toasted sesame oil
- 1 diced onion
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 inch finely chopped root ginger
- 1 chopped red pepper
- 1 chopped green pepper
- 4 diced spring onions
- 227g tin of crushed pineapple
For the Sauce:
- 150ml chicken stock
- 1 tbs light soy sauce
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbs red wine vinegar
- 2 tbs light brown sugar
- 2 tbs tomato puree
- Ground black pepper
- 1 tsp corn flour
- Add the sesame oil to your wok and heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, ginger and spring onions and fry for 2-3 minutes on high.
- Add the chicken and stir fry for 4-5 minutes, or until lightly coloured on all sides.
- Add the crushed pineapple and peppers and continue cooking for another 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, red wine vinegar, sugar, tomato puree, and a good pinch of black pepper, and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Mix the corn flour with 1 tbsp of water until it forms a paste.
- Add the corn flour/water mixture to the wok and cook for another 2 minutes, or until the sauce starts to thicken and go glossy.
- Serve straight from the wok with a nice tasty rice, like egg fried, or mushroom and garlic.