Sweet and Sour ChickenPrint this Page
Avoid the take away and cook your own quick, and healthy, Chinese style sweet and sour chicken at home.
We all know that sweet and sour chicken is basically now a British staple. Is it even really Saturday night without a visit to the local Chinese for something sweet and sticky? No, except too many of those take-away's might leave your wallet looking thin, and your waistline, well, that's another story. Anyway, I love sweet and sour chicken, and it seems a shame to confine it to the every-once-in-a-while-treat from the Chinese, so I wanted to have a go at making a version you can cook at home, without the guilt. Also, cooking this at home means you can't be tempted by the added extras of a delicious Chinese take-away menu; chips, prawn toast, maybe even some ribs... It's just all too tempting. So in that respects, cooking at home is much better for your waistline.
- 450g diced chicken breast
- 2 tbs toasted sesame oil
- 1 diced onion
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 inch finely chopped root ginger
- 1 chopped red pepper
- 1 chopped green pepper
- 4 diced spring onions
- 227g tin of crushed pineapple
For the Sauce:
- 150ml chicken stock
- 1 tbs light soy sauce
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbs red wine vinegar
- 2 tbs light brown sugar
- 2 tbs tomato puree
- Ground black pepper
- 1 tsp corn flour
- Add the sesame oil to your wok and heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, ginger and spring onions and fry for 2-3 minutes on high.
- Add the chicken and stir fry for 4-5 minutes, or until lightly coloured on all sides.
- Add the crushed pineapple and peppers and continue cooking for another 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, red wine vinegar, sugar, tomato puree, and a good pinch of black pepper, and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Mix the corn flour with 1 tbsp of water until it forms a paste.
- Add the corn flour/water mixture to the wok and cook for another 2 minutes, or until the sauce starts to thicken and go glossy.
- Serve straight from the wok with a nice tasty rice, like egg fried, or mushroom and garlic.