Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe
A hearty Italian spaghetti Bolognese recipe straight from the True Bites family cook book. No sauces, this is how to make bolognese from scratch.
What You'll need
- 1 medium onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 500g minced beef
- 1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes with mixed herbs
- 2 level tablespoons of flour
- 2 tablespoons of tomato purée
- pinch of Italian herb seasoning
- 1⁄2 pint of beef stock
- 1 medium glass of red wine
- seasoning to taste
- grated Parmesan to taste
- 350g spaghetti
- Peel and finely chop the onion and garlic. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and then add the onion.
- Cook until the onion is soft but not brown, usually between 5 and 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and minced beef to the saucepan and brown quickly.
- Then add the flour, seasoning, tin of tomatoes, tomato purée and Italian herbs to the saucepan, stirring while you do.
- Finally, add the stock and red wine. Lower the heat, place the lid on the saucepan and simmer gently for about 45 minutes.
- Stir occasionally to make sure that the sauce isn't sticking to the pan and that it doesn't become too thick. Add a bit more stock if you think it is too thick.
- About 15 minutes before you want to serve it, add the spaghetti to a saucepan of boiling water and boil for about 10 minutes or until cooked to your taste.
- Serve the bolognese sauce poured over a bowl of spaghetti with grated parmesan/cheese sprinkled on the top.
- Press a glove of garlic, mix it with butter or margarine, spread on a sliced baguette and warm through in the oven for home made garlic bread.