A beautiful Italian flavoured sausage casserole, perfect with fresh crusty bread. A real mid week treat, but probably perfect for a Saturday evening in!
You know we usually like to keep things simple at True Bites, we understand that not everyone has the time to work through a complicated recipe with a long list of ingredients, but trust us on this one, it'll be worth it. And to be fair, this one isn't as complicated as it looks, and you could make it even easier throwing the ingredients in a slow cooker and leaving it to cook. Anyway, this one really packs a flavour and is superb served on a cold night with a big chunk of crusty bread. Give it a go and let us know what you think in the comments.
- 12 True Bites pork sausages
- 6 rashers of smoked bacon, diced
- 1 x 400g tin of tomatoes
- 400g peeled potatoes, thickly sliced and part boiled
- 300ml chicken stock
- 100ml of red wine (optional)
- 2 good sized onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp hot chilli powder (or to taste)
- 1 tsp Italian herb seasoning
- 2 tbs tomato puree
- 1 tbs Worcester sauce
- 1 tbs dark brown soft sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 3/4 sprigs of fresh thyme (or 1tsp of dried thyme)
- Cook the sausage and bacon until browned all over (Grill, fry or bake in the oven) then transfer them to a large saucepan, casserole dish or even slow cooker.
- Fry the onions on a medium heat until they start to soften.
- Add the garlic and cook until the onions start to brown (Resist the urge to turn the heat up, we don't want to burn the garlic).
- Add the chilli powder and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, chicken stock, tomato puree, Worcester sauce, brown sugar and Italian herbes.
- Pour in the wine (or equivalent in water) and allow to simmer for a few minutes.
- Pour everything into the pan with the sausages.
- Add the part boiled potatoes to the pan as well.
- Either simmer in the saucepan on a low heat for around 30 minutes, place the casserole dish in the over (Gas Mark 1/140C) for around an hour, or leave in the slow cooker for a couple of hours.