How To Cook Fillet SteakPrint this Page
Right, you've gone all out and bought the most revered steaks money can buy, now you've got to cook them and you really don't want to mess it up. We are here to help.
We get asked for cooking advice every time we sell a fillet steak. I guess when you've splashed the cash on the most impressive, not to mention expensive, steak, you really want to make sure you do the it justice. If we're being honest, there are no secret tricks or special recipes, it's really all about timing and a hot pan. With this in mind here's my sure fire way to get your fillet steak cooked exactly how you want it.
- Right, first thing's first, unpack and remove your steak from the fridge 1 hour before cooking to bring it up to room temperature. Throwing a cold steak into a hot pan will result in uneven cooking, which we definitely do not want.
- Season your steaks generously with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Do it right before cooking. If the salt is left on for more than a couple of minutes before cooking it will start to draw moisture out of the steak. We want to lock the juices in.
- Make sure your pan/griddle/skillet is hot before you pop your steak in. This will sear the outside of the steak and lock all those delicious flavours in.
- Pop your steak into the hot pan and resist the urge to turn it until halfway through cooking time (see below for cooking times). I always advise to only turn your steaks once. You have to be brave, but I have always found this the best way to get that delicious sear on the outside of the meat.
- Once your steak is cooked, remove it from the pan and pop it on a warm plate to rest. Cover it loosely with foil and leave it for 5 minutes. This is really important to allow the meat to relax and the juices to redistribute throughout the entire steak.
For an average 6oz fillet steak (approximately 2-3cm thick):
|Rare||3-4 minutes per side|
|Medium||4-5 minutes per side|
|Well done||6-7 minutes per side|
If you have any questions, or feedback, please leave us a comment below. We love hearing for you lot.