Turkey bacon has been growing in popularity over the last few years and is quickly becoming a top seller for us, particularly within our lean meats collections. It provides a great alternative to traditional bacon (made from pork) for those who don't eat pork, for whatever reason, and those looking to reduce their red meat in take.
How is it Made?
Turkey bacon is often prepared using minced or chopped turkey with added seasonings and preservatives, which is then formed into the bacon-like strips (similar to streaky bacon).
That is NOT how we do it here at True Bites. We make all our turkey bacon by hand using only 100% turkey breast. There is no mincing, or chopping, no added water, no added sugars, and certainly no forming or reforming. Here's how we do it:
- We take a whole turkey breast, making sure all bones and excess fat is removed.
- We rub all sides of the meat with curing salt (the same ingredients that we use to make our premium dry cured back bacon).
- Then we pack the breast and place it in the fridge to allow the meat to cure, which can take up to one week.
- In order to ensure an even cure throughout the meat, we turn the breast over everyday.
- After one week we unpack the turkey, which is now turkey bacon, slice it into rashers and pack into retail packs ready for you to enjoy. That's it.