Slow Roast Lamb Shanks in Red Wine Recipe
A really simple yet sophisticated slow roast lamb shank with rosemary and red wine recipe. Absolutely perfect for those long winter nights keeping warm at home by the fire.
What You'll Need
- 4 True Bites Lamb Shanks. We cut our lamb shanks from best quality local Shropshire/Staffordshire lamb, which always makes for a tasty, and tender meal!
- 4 Large Onions, thinly sliced
- Handful of Rosemary Sprigs
- 300ml Red Wine
- Pre heat the oven to Gas Mark 3 (160C, 320F)
- Wipe the meat all over and season well
- Heat 3 tbsp of olive oil in a heavy flameproof casserole, add the meat and fry all over on a high heat for around 8 minutes, turning so it is evenly browned. Remove to a plate
- Add the onions to the pan and fry until soft and golden (around 10 minutes)
- Add a few Rosemary sprigs and cook for a further minute or so.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Sit the lamb on top of the onions and add the red wine
- Cover tightly and bake for around 3 hrs, until the lamb is lovely and tender.
- Scatter with Rosemary to finish off.
- The key to a great tasting dish is great quality ingredients, so please do try to use our quality British lamb whenever you can.
- Serve with creamy mash and streamed veg.