Sweet and Sour Chicken
Avoid the take away and cook your own sweet and sour chicken at home. This recipe makes for a really tasty, quick, and light meal, that will serve 4.
What You'll need
- 500g of True Bites Diced Chicken Fillet,
- 2 tbs Olive Oil,
- 2 Peppers, Chopped (Your Choice of colour),
- 3 Garlic Cloves, Crushed,
- 5 Spring Onions, Cut into 4cm Strips,
- 227g Tin of Crushed Pineapple.
For the Sauce:
- 150ml Chicken Stock,
- 1 tbs Light Soy Sauce,
- 2 tsp Dark Soy Sauce,
- 2 tsp Seasame Oil,
- 2 tbs Cider Vinegar,
- 2 tbs Light Brown Sugar,
- 2 tbs Tomato Puree,
- Salt & Pepper to taste,
- 2 tsp Corn Flour mixed with 1 tbs Water (for thickening).
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil, then remove it from the heat and add the diced chicken straight away. Stir them around to stop them sticking together.
- When the chicken has turned white (after approx 3 mins), drain off the water.
- Add the Olive Oil to your wok and heat.
- Add the peppers, garlic and spring onions and stir fry for around 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, sesame oil, cider vinegar, sugar, tomato puree, and salt and pepper, and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the corn flour mixture and cook for another 2 minutes, or until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Add the drained chicken and crushed pineapple to the wok, and stirfry for another few minutes making sure the chicken is completely covered by the sauce.
- Serve straight from the wok.
- Serve with a tasty rice, such as egg fried, or mushroom and garlic.