Italian Style Sausage Casserole Recipe
A beautiful Italian flavoured sausage casserole, perfect with fresh crusty bread. A real mid week treat, but probably perfect for a Saturday evening in!
What you'll need
- 12 True Bites pork sausages
- 6 rashers of True Bites Dry Cured Smoked Bacon diced
- 1 x 400g tin of tomatoes
- 400g peeled potatoes, thickly sliced and part boiled
- 300ml chicken stock
- 100ml of red wine (optional)
- 2 good sized onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp hot chilli powder (or to taste)
- 1 tsp Italian herb seasoning
- 2 tbs tomato puree
- 1 tbs Worcester sauce
- 1 tbs dark brown soft sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 3/4 sprigs of fresh thyme or 1tsp of dried thyme
- Cook the sausage and bacon until browned all over (Grill, fry or bake in the oven) then transfer them to a large saucepan, casserole dish or even slow cooker.
- Fry the onions on a medium heat until they start to soften.
- Add the garlic and cook until the onions start to brown (Resist the urge to turn the heat up, we don't want to burn the garlic)
- Add the chilli powder and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, chicken stock, tomato puree, Worcester sauce, brown sugar and Italian herbes.
- Pour in the wine (or equivalent in water) and allow to simmer for a few minutes.
- Pour everything into the pan with the sausages.
- Add the part boiled potatoes to the pan as well.
- Either simmer in the saucepan on a low heat for around 30 minutes, place the casserole dish in the over (Gas Mark 1/140C) for around an hour, or leave in the slow cooker for a couple of hours.
- Don't be put off by all the ingredients, if you are a fan of Italian flavour, then this will be worth it trust us.