A Simple Caribbean Jerk Marinade Recipe
A lovely sweet and spicy jerk marinade, which can be used on anything from a whole chicken to roast gammon, pork chops or anything on the BBQ. Basically, use at your own free will.
What You'll Need
- 8 garlic cloves
- 5 shallots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 large knob of ginger, peeled
- 6 – 8 medium/hot chilli peppers (depending on taste)
- 2tbsb ground allspice
- 2tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2tsp ground cloves
- 1/2tsp ground nutmeg
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 large handful of thyme sprigs, use leaves or 1tsp dried thyme
- 65g dark muscovado sugar
- Juice of 3 limes
- 1tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1tbsp rum
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor and whiz until they form a smooth paste.
- Marinade you chosen cut in a fridge (ideally over night)
- Cook your meat covered with foil as required
- The marinade will thicken during cooking.
- Baste your meat with the marinade and cook uncovered for the last 20 minutes so that it forms a sticky crust.